Tips to follow go a long way in getting the maximum from your recent treatment and preventing the recurrences as well.
- Foremost intake of water is the single activity to follow to prevent recurrences.
- Keep a count of number of glasses of water you take the whole day. Your doctor will explain the benefits of water intake and will advise you to drink at least 8 to 10 glasses of liquids each day. This helps in hydrating the body well and flushes out the kidney stones especially in particulate form.
- Send the past articles in urine for lab analysis. Collecting these particles through a strainer or a piece of thin cloth and sending to your doctor will enable you to plan your diet in an effective way to prevent recurrences. You can also get advice from a dietician to suggest you a stone free diet charting.
- Add nutritious foods to prevent stones. These include lemon, or lemon juice is preventive for kidney stones.
- Fruits, vegetables, whole-grain breads, low-fat dairy products and, beans and fish are to be limited. Low sodium diet and protein with low calcium is recommended.
- Active lifestyle. Aerobics and cardio exercises will benefit the overall health along with prevention of recurrent stones.
- Regular screening by an ultrasound every 6 months is recommended along with urine microscopy.