RIRS Treatment for Kidney Stone
RIRS also called as Retrograde intrarenal surgery (RIRS). This involves approaching the kidney stone using a viewing fibroptic endoscope and when this reaches the stone laser energy is passed through it which fragments the renal stone into sand like particles and this is taken out through the same endoscope.
This procedure is done under spinal anaesthesia in majority of cases and as the procedure is performed through the urinary tract, no cut is given anywhere.
This outpatient procedure is mainly done for removing renal stones upto 15 mm.
Other indications include small inlet of kidney system, failed lithotripsy cases, renal tumours resection, best done for patients suffering with kidney stones, narrowing of the kidney outlet within and outside of it and kidney tumours.
This is a safe procedure in obese, children and other patients with cardiac disorders unfit for other procedures such as ESWL.
The advantages of this procedure are due the fact that no incision or cut is given.
- The recovery is quite fast as compared to other procedures and no pain is felt during or after the procedure.
- Bleeding is very minimal and clearance of stone is well achieved.
- Nowadays RIRS is seen as a safe option to treat renal calculi UPTO 15 MM and if patients have stones larger than 20mm diameter or have multiple small calculi, then either PCNL or MINIPCNL is the option.
- This procedure requires a well-trained urologist and is one of the expensive options as it requires HOLMIUM LASER which is very costly.
GET TO KNOW ABOUT LATEST KIDNEY STONE TREATMENT IN UROLIFE
- RIRS-Also called as flexible uretroscopy laser stone removal, this is the latest revolutionary, non surgical intra renal laser technolgy which is the fastest way of fragmenting and removing kidney stones upto 20mm anywhere in the kidney.
- This technolgy has a higher cost due to high grade holmium laser and hence the procedure incurs high cost.
- This procedure is ideal for patients desiring same day treatment without any cut and want fastest results.
STEPS IN RIRS TREATMENTS
- Kidney stone is located through a camera in flexible ureteroscope tip.
- Stone is fragmented to fine dust with holmium laser energy.
- Stone dust is removed with a tipless basket.
- Urinary tract cleared with flushing of clear fluid.
- treatment complete
RIRS PROCEDURE IS ALSO SAFE IN CHRONIC RENAL FAILURE PATIENTS
- RIRS techniqe involves the urologist to perform stone fragmention and removal by using laser inside the kidney without making an incision.
- In this procedure a flexibeil uretroscope is passed in the body through natural urinarly passage and all types of kidney stones can be removed without any pain or complication.It has number of advantages over other procedures though it is expesive because of its high cost of high grade laser.
- Patients can be discharged within 24 hours of the procedure.
- Complications are minimal or nil.